14 Jun 2010

Dinosaurs are now extinct

I can't remember if I told you or not, my camera died. At least the light meter did. Anyone who remembers how to use the f-stop, and aperture on a fully manual camera will know that without that light meter there is no reliable way to get the exposure correct. Its very sad!

So ... we bought a new camera. One of the things I learned was that the dinosaur was small and light, even with the 70-300mm lens on it, compared to the digital SLRs. I'm really glad I thought about weight and size. After all, will I use a camera, no matter how nice, that is too heavy and bulky to lug around for 4 hours on the beach?

Before we bought ours I looked at some things that you might be interested in. Then again you might not. I had very little clue as to where to start so, I did an internet search and found as many manufacturers of cameras as I could. It's really surprising how many there are.

Next up I looked at prices. My budget, including lens was no more, and preferably far less, than $2000. A lot of money - but hey we like toys. That eliminated a few, mainly professional, cameras.

Then I looked at batteries and memory cards. It does no good to have a camera with dead batteries, aka the dust gathering camcorder, or the battery sucking point and shoot. So I needed batteries with a long life and preferably a back up which is readily available in gas stations. Battery life numbers are almost fictitious. Of course the manufactures give you the life under penultimate conditions which very rarely(never?) occur in real life. Fortunately all of the manufacturers are equal so what you really have is a relative comparison of battery life.

It also doesn't help the photography when you run out of memory 500 miles from an electronics store.(and yes that has happened) So I wanted the most dirt common kind of memory card. Wal*Mart carries virtually the same stock everywhere and are in most places. Can you tell we spend a lot of time driving? So we went to and checked out what they had the most of.

That little process narrowed it down to two cameras both by the same manufacturer. I, however, am not brand loyal and could be persuaded to bend on the memory card and/or batteries. So I allowed the competition one model in the correct price range and went looking for comparisons of actual pictures. (sorry it was written in Japanese but it does give you an idea how the images compare)

Next, I looked at prices. I had a winner. Now, you probably don't know that DH is a loyal Canon man. "Canon makes the best glass," is what he said. (He probably knows, it's what they pay for.) So ... he said no to my winner. Finally, we haggled over the technical specs.

And the answer was always, "Yes it's not quite as good but it's half the price".

And then there's my existing lenses that fit the new camera. Seriously, that was an after thought.

We took it out for a test run yesterday and I have to say I'm happy.

From San Gregorio


I'm not deliberately a nonconformist, but I don't do what everyone else does just because. Of course, I am perhaps the most uncool person around.

BTW - more mega pixels don't necessarily make for better images. All they do for sure is guarantee that if you blow up a picture to poster size you have enough resolution that it doesn't look pixelated. (that digital look)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me smile, thank you!