30 Jan 2013

Brought to you by the letter L

Let me see what starts with the letter L, I know lemons.  OK, too much Cookie monster.  I confess, Sid and I have been having fun watching Sesame Street reruns on Netflix, really though this post is about Lemons.

Lemons seem to grow in almost every backyard around here.  This is one of the things I marvel at every time I go for a walk.  I have yet to knock on any doors and ask, "may I take a picture of your fantastic lemon tree."  Honestly, they are fantastic somewhat like seeing a real Treant, at least to me anyways since this is what 'home' looks like when I visualize it.
Special Thank You to Shane McKinnon for sharing this image here
and so stepping out the front door is like going through the back of the wardrobe.

My husband comes home with a free lemon from work now and then because someone has brought in a basket from their tree.  This kind of sharing happens at home too, though, it is usually when the tomatoes start ripening. The idea that lemons are so plentiful that they can be brought into work and dumped on the lunch room table with a note saying "free" never fails to surprise me.

However, in December there was a shortage of free lemons and so Christmas Eve I had to send my accommodating husband to get a one so I could make a Greek salad. This is what he brought home:

I looked at the bag and simply said, 'take a picture.'  He gave me "that look", you know the one, but, being the wonderful man he is he took the picture.  It isn't the one I would have taken. That is, I would have staged it so that there appeared to be endless lemons overflowing from the fruit basket since that is how I felt about 5 pounds of lemons arriving when I needed 3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice.  I however, was completely out of time and so couldn't do it.

In case you are wondering, his story and I do believe him, is there were no single lemons left in the store and if I wanted a lemon then this is what there was.

Moving right along, I made the salad dressing and the salad too.  Here's the recipe:


Greek Salad

1 large head Romaine Lettuce (or other greens, I like a Romaine/ Baby Spinach mix)
½ cup black olives, or to taste
1 small thinly sliced red onion
¼ lb. Feta cheese, crumbled
1 seeded chopped tomato ( I don't seed and it's pretty coarsely chopped)
sliced cucumber, optional but I think it's the best part
coarsely ground fresh black pepper

Dressing

(prepare a day ahead, so the recipe says. lol)
½ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced fine
oregano to taste

Mix dressing in a jar and chill.  Toss lettuce, olived, onion, cheese, tomato and cucumber. Reserve a bit of tomato and cucumber for garnish. Shake dressing, pour over salad. Garnish as desired. Top with ground pepper. It really is better if the dressing sits overnight but even an hour or two helps it a whole lot.

Boxing Day, otherwise known as the day after Christmas, it occurred to me that I had better find something to do with all of the rest before they spoiled.  Somehow, lemonade when the temperature was hovering around freezing didn't sound appealing. I have actually put my shoes, socks and coat on this winter, no liner though.  Either I'm becoming acclimatized or it has been an exceptionally cold winter.  Perhaps that is the reason for the lemon shortage at work?

Speaking of Boxing Day, I was at the dentist in late November and he said, "I've never understood  the Boxing Day thing." That made me chuckle a bit because I've never understood the Black Friday thing.  I told him I would explain but it would cost 5 minutes of appointment time.  He put his tools down and listened.  Somewhat shocked, I explained: it's origins are in Victorian England when the day after Christmas the perishable Christmas goods were 'boxed' up and taken to the poor houses etc.  Canada, still a British colony at that time, adopted the tradition.  Probably it was for tax reasons so that those were goods donated before year end and hence a tax write-off.  I'm not really sure of that but it makes sense to me. Boxing Day is now like Black Friday, the big shopping day for the year.  It has further morphed into Boxing Week which I think is just silly but again, I believe it is clearing inventory for the accountants.
.
.
.
Anyways, I thought I would share some of my lemon recipes for the next few posts.  I'm still playing with paper, paint and pictures. A few minutes ago I was finishing up with the editing of the Christmas photos when I found the lemon picture.  I'm very excited to put Christmas 2012 into the album.

Did you think I was going to write something like "Live, Laugh, Love"? lol
Be sure to do that too

Have a great day
~Carolyn