25 Feb 2013

Potpourri . . . housework, a bit of crafting, Canadian accents, and too funny

ETA: I've been having fun with this even if it is too long

Housework . . . 

 

What's up with me today? It's Monday so I have to excavate from the weekend.  I really don't understand how this place falls apart in two days.  Friday at 4:30pm it was clean enough for my mother to visit.  OK, the ironing wasn't done but that was it, even the mending basket was empty.

Today there is a mountain of laundry, filthy floors, a scrapbook mess that is taking over two rooms, mending in the basket, a fridge that needs an interior wipe down ... very frustrating!

However, that doesn't mean I don't have time for a little bit of craftiness as I clean up.  It just means that stuff needs to go away and be finished before I start anything new.

A bit of Craftiness 

 

So, Stazon Ink.  You know the plastic thingy that says do not discard.


You also know that it says that so the solvents don't evaporate and the ink doesn't dry up but it's a pain to be handling that thingy. Almost like it has two lids. Quite some time ago I ran into a solution for this. Put a glue dot directly on the plastic piece directly under where the pokey bit on the lid will sit.


Press the lid firmly on the plastic protector piece while it is on the pad.


Now lift the lid.


VoilĂ , the lid and plastic piece are now a single unit.  Super easy, super fast and even on my oldest pads the glue hasn't let go.  I would love to give credit but I can't remember who/where the idea came from and please excuse the mess.

Canadian Accents . . .


what would you call this?

Walmart Canada


This weekend one of our very old ones died and needed replacement. A quick stop at the hardware store turned into wandering around aimlessly. Finally, I asked a sales associate where they were and he kindly directed me to a display at the front of the store with these (or ones like them)



??? What the . . . ? being a good girl I say nothing but, "no, the thingy that you plug many plugs into preferably with a surge protector."

"Oh", he says,"you mean a power strip."

Has it become apparent that I call them power bars.  As far as I knew that was the only thing they could be called. Those other things, well they are granola bars or energy bars. Just when I thought I had figured out the language differences. Sigh.

It wasn't quite as humiliating as the day I inadvertently let 'pop' slip out and the waitress said,"Oh, I know what pop is, my Grandmother used to say that."  What was humiliating?  The waitress was about my age.

Now, I have heard it said that I have a 'thick Canadian accent'.  I suppose that is true, after all I am a Canadian but it's a very large country. There are notable regional differences and I've lived in a few of these, married another, have family in still more and now I live in the States.  Not to mention parental influences.  My Mother is from Toronto, My father from Windsor (think taggers not tigers etc) and my step-father was British.  So what makes up this discernible Canadian accent?  What are those vowel sounds that I apparently do so very differently?  Uhm ... off to youtube I went and I found a few videos to help me mull it over.  I've chosen this selection to share since I think they do a good job of pointing out the differences across the country.

I invite you pull up a chair and have a look at a these.  Not all of them have great quality but I think they do a great job of demonstrating the differences.  Have a listen and as always I'm sorry for any ads.

Newfoundland
Labrador
Nova Scotia
This one, also from Nova Scotia, has some interesting points at the beginning of hers.
New Brunswick 
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Nunavut
Eastern Ontario
Southern Ontario - that's my guess, anyways. She sounds like my husbands family
Northern Ontario - Sorry for the Ontario heavy links. There weren't as many from elsewhere in the country but they do illustrate how much things can vary within the same province.
Winnepeg, Manitoba

Saskatechewan
Alberta
Northwest Territories
British Columbia - Vancouver Island
Yukon  -   I would have liked to have found an example, since I have never been there.

In the accent/dialect tagged ones I think the addition of a few of words would be interesting.

bury
lieutenant
about
tomato
Saskatchewan
Newfoundland
cigarette
Toronto

I won't bother with the link but a youtube search for "I am Canadian Molson anthem" will bring up another video regarding accents. Also, I find it telling on a culture when the most unifying thing I've seen is beer ad.

Speaking of beer, I had a friend from New Jersey who was convinced that all Canadians said aboot instead of about.  He spent many hours and a lot of beer trying to get me to 'slip'.  rotfl, guess you had to be there.  Anyways, only once in all those videos did I hear anything that sounded like aboot. Did you hear it?


Too Funny . . .


While I was surfing on youtube I found this guy's skit on Canadian accents. OMG I laughed and laughed. Have a look.
Russell Peters - The Canadian Accent
Russell Peters - How to become a Canadian

Well thanks for joining me today.  The laundry is done and I have to go see about supper.  Remember only in Toronto do Toronto and Donna rhyme. (Kings - This Beat Goes On)

Have a great night. ~Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. These are toooo funny.
    From doing videos for YouTube, I have many tell me that they like my accent. I guess I am one of those Canadians that don't think they have an accent, lol.
    But i am guilty of saying "eh" a lot, lol.
    Didn't realize I did, until my daughters pointed it out...now I am actually aware of how much I say it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, eh! I'm from the Great White North too. lol I work very,very hard to not let that one slip here.

      Delete

Hearing from you makes me smile, thank you!